Wednesday, March 01, 2006


Incredible Bravery, Provisions, Soaring, and Knitting

Every year on our farm I learn great lessons from our wildlife friends. I consider it a great privelege to be in an area to view these incredible creatures and watch their interactions. I find it comforting to see how they survive on what is supplied from above, choose mates, raise families, and show such incredible bravery and dedication to their mates and young. If I am ever in need of encouragement, inspiration, or a reminder of our Heavenly Father's creativity and love, all I need do is look out any window.

The picture above is of a parent Purple Martin from last season attempting to drive away a Great White Egret that the Martin considered as being *too close* to its young. Now is that bravery, or what? The Egret is approximately 4 feet tall. The Purple Martin has a body weight of only a few ounces. How great is the desire to protect family for the Purple Martin? How much is the Martin willing to sacrifice for the life of those for which it cares?

My prayer today is that you know in your heart that there are those that care at least this much and more for you. And, that you will know that our Heavenly Father cares so very much more for you. His protection, provision, and love are unending.


Even the smallest birds survive winter and await the return of Spring to nest again. Seeing these little ones thrive is always a boost to my heart, and a reminder that the Lord provides well for his creation. : )

We are thrilled to provide feeders filled with seed, mealworms, fruit, suet, nuts and peanut butter. We enjoy serving meals to our wildlife visitors and enjoy their company at a closer range.


Today we have at least 25 Purple Martins back in residence at our colony site. They soar overhead effortlessly, feeding, visiting, and singing, then *dropping* in for a landing by folding their wings in and doing a vertical drop...opening their wings just in time to glide into their chosen cavity. I'm sure watching these acrobats come in for the evening is excellent for relaxing and calming...and reducing blood pressure, too.

Knitting

I haven't been as productive in knitting this week as I had hoped. I've had a fever since last Wednesday's treatment. This is a normal reaction and it should subside soon. I'm definitely ready to cool down. : )

I knitted quite a bit on the Trellis Scarf...only to be followed by frogging the exact amount that I knitted. I have come to the realization that I am unable to knit lace with a fever. I don't know why. I only know that it doesn't work.

I've started a second pair of fingerless mitts for the CIC caregivers and have 2 more planned. The two childrens vests, pair of felted clogs, and fingerless mitts will be mailed in the near future.

My husband has been busy with his lathe turning more nostepinnes. I have plans for them! : )

Our mail person has also been great this week. I received my *Stahman's Shawls and Scarves* from Patternworks and have joined a Faroese Shawl Knit-Along. The knit-along goes with this book. I'm sure this shawl will be an excellent knit. The book is great and I am looking forward to casting on.

My hope is that each of you have a very good week, lots of joy, lots of laughter, and knowing deeply in your heart that you are cared for beyond measure by family, friends, and most importantly, by our Heavenly Father.

Your Friend,

Shelly

KJV
Mark 10:45
For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

John 4:14
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love you, Shelly!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I enjoy watching the birds too. We used to get quite a few at our feeders (on our back deck) but not so many this past summer/fall/winter. I wonder if it has anything to do with the people in the house in back of us putting up one of those stupid plastic owls to scare them away!

Hope your fever has gone down now and that you are feeling better. God bless!!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thanks, Rebecca. I love you, too!

Shelley, thanks to you, too. Your birds should return soon...the plastic owls aren't usually effective for very long. : ) And, thanks for wishes for the fever to go away.

6:28 PM  
Blogger jae said...

I do hope your fever subsides and you feel well soon. Nature is absolute proof there is a God!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

You're right, Jaedoe!

Thanks! : )

6:40 PM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

I love that aqua yarn! Or maybe it's the sage you mentioned before. I hope you have that with you tomorrow night, I want to see it.

You are a good person, Shelly.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

What a great picture of the Egret and the Martin. Your blog is always a treat to visit.

Thanks for the link to the Stahman shawl KAL group. I just joined. How did you ever find it.

Now get rid of that fever so you can knit some lace!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thanks so much, Kay. I'll be sure to bring along both the sage and cinnabar Zephyr wool/silk tonight!

Marguerite, I think I found the Faroese Shawl Knit Along while doing blog surfing....one of my daily activities! : )

Myrna Stahman, the author of the book, is a member of the knit along group and is there to offer support and answer questions! How wonderful is that? : ) This is going to be so totally different from my last shawl knitting experience!

Also, just a bit about the Egret and Purple Martin picture. That huge Egret was standing in the very top of an oak tree in our back yard....on the tiny limblets and leaves. We had a Red-tailed Hawk pair nesting in the back pasture and every time they came near the front pond where the Egret liked to stand and fish, the Egret would fly to the top of the oak tree near our huose. Then, all our Purple Martins would go divebombing the poor Egret because they considered it to be too close to their nesting cavities. It was a sight to watch them all interacting last Spring and Summer. It was like watching a visual version of *Who's On First*! : )

1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post and love the bird pics!

Of course the pic at the end is the one I drool over - LOL!

Praying your fever will subside and you can get back to lace knitting!

Love ya!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I love the picture of the wren. I love wrens! Also, I can't wait to see your trellis scarf, that is one on my "to knit" list.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Trenton Home Theater said...

Hi, nice reading your post

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home