Sunday, February 19, 2006


The Faroese Shawl is Finished! : )

As you can see in the picture above, the *Yellow Shawl* (which I knit in lavender Misti Alpaca sport weight yarn) is completed. It is blocked and ready to package. I'll be sending it to my Grandmother in Illinois tomorrow morning!

This pattern, from the The Best of Knitter's Magazine Shawls and Scarves was filled with errors. I have never before encountered such a frustrating knitting experience. I have contacted the publishers several times and am still hoping for them to rework this pattern and correct the errors. The stitch counts after row 65 are *off* by 22 stitches....which can not be accurately corrected without trying to *figure out where* the shoulder shaping decreases should be placed. Prior to row 65, there are several chart errors, but these are very minor when compared to the problems encountered once you reach row 65!

Last week I was told by the XRX pattern support that they were working on a magazine deadline and would get back with me after the deadline on the pattern problems. I hope to hear from them this week. I think I have now regained my composure to be able to discuss the errors politely and kindly, so it may have been a very good thing that they were too busy last week. : )

This is a flawed and poorly written pattern as it is currently published. It took a big toll on any knitting confidence I had prior to starting, but I do feel quite a sense of accomplishment seeing it through to the end. And, I think I have a much better understanding of what makes a well written pattern....and of the shoulder shaping technique for Faroese shawls.

My grandmother is 97 and walks with a walker. A shawl that won't slip off of her small shoulders is very important. I hope that it keeps her warm and happy and that she knows that I love her each time she sees it and wears it! Since I can't be there in person to give her a hug, I'll be sending this shawl to do it for me. : )


Today is still very cold and we have several farm chores to tend to...and then I'll be back to knitting. The size 4 CIC vest is knitting up quickly and I think I may be able to finish it this evening. If so, I'll post another picture today!

Stay warm and have a wonderful day.

Your Friend,

Shelly

HCSB
Psalms 52:8
But I am like a flourishing olive tree in the house of God;
I trust in God's faithful love forever and ever.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is truly lovely!
-A

11:53 AM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

Shelly, the shawl is truly beautiful! You did a fantastic job in spite of lousy instructions.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

It's so pretty. And I can just imagine how soft and warm it is in that beautiful alpaca yarn.

You can be very proud of yourself that you worked through that bad pattern my yourself and came up with such a perfect looking result.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shawl is just magnificent. I never doubted that you would make it through all the "mess" that you were faced with. The work that you do continues to amaze me. Anything that you touch with your hands becomes a creative show piece. I am thrilled that you have it finished and I know that granny will love every minute of wearing it. It will probably be the first thing that she reaches for each and every morning.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

It looks gorgeous! I am sure your grandmother is going to love it!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Shelly, how absolutely stunning! Hard work and perserverance always pay off. You know she's going to love it.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was your grandmother!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thank you so very much everyone! I learned so much with this project, and I couldn't have done it without your encouragement...and letting me vent frequently the past several weeks.

You're all the very best!

Shelly

6:41 PM  
Blogger Minna said...

What a wonderful shawl!!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thank you, Minde!

I may cast on a lace scarf today....similar to your Fifi. You did such a beautiful job and it inspired me. : )

Shelly

8:58 AM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Nancy, I just ordered the book, "Stahman's Shawls and Scarves" from http://www.patternworks.com I haven't tried any of the patterns yet, but it had great reviews on Amazon.com and Marguerite likes it. I've also been considering Heartstrings Fiber Arts Faroese shawl patterns here:

http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/faroeses.shtm

My number one question is always going to be...have the patterns been successfully test knitted *before* I knit them.

Good Luck,

Shelly

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this knitted shawl. And it looks wonderful on your Grandmother.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home