Monday, February 20, 2006


We Finally Got Mail!

Our mailperson didn't make it to our rural area on Saturday. Our weather was dreadful. I don't know if there were massive call-ins at the postal service, or possibly auto accidents, but I was concerned when, for the first time in over 10 years at our farm, the mail never came.

Today is a national holiday and no postal service was expected. So, how surprised was I when I looked out the front window and saw a package setting atop our mailbox? Stunned is a good description.

As you can see in the picture above, Toni of The Fold has certainly brightened my day! My Bosworth Midi spindle in *Oak* was in the box, along with *4* types of roving samples. : ) The rovings are lucious, literally! I have 1 ounce of CVM (I need to look up what CVM is) in a beautiful, golden - fawn color; 2 ounces of greyish-beige Corriedale, 1 ounce of wonderful off-white Cormo; and 1 ounce of very dark brown/almost black Lincoln Lamb. Toni has already got a leader started on my new spindle, now I just need to get out my Spindle Spinning book and get to work. : )

A Finished Object for CIC

In the picture below you can see that I also finished up a size 4 child's woolen vest for CIC. This is the same vest that I cast on last Thursday night at Borders. These are quick, easy, and fulfilling projects. I haven't washed and blocked it out yet, but I did want to get a picture of it up for those that might be considering joining in on the CIC knitting fun! I'll wash it in Eucalan and block it out this evening.

My next project for CIC will be to cast on some fingerless mitts for the caregivers this evening.

I do need to add a very good word for the 100% wool yarn that I used in knitting this CIC vest. It is Cascade Eco+. It is very soft, no knots, and a bulky weight yarn that is an excellent value. Our local yarn shops don't carry Cascade Eco+, so I have had a wonderful experience ordering this yarn from Cedarville Landing Yarn Shop on Ebay. I've also had only positive experiences ordering Cascade Ecological Wool from Mrs Knits Yarn Shop on Ebay. You might check their listings on Ebay. I highly recommend both of them.

You might notice another package of roving in the picture below. This was a gift from Jeanell of our Borders knitting group. *THANK YOU, Jeanell*. This is incredibly soft, white Merino from a local grower and another roving of an unknown sheep. I can barely wait to work with both of them. My husband is going to make Jeanell a nostepinne in exchange for her helping me learn to spin on a spindle. How wonderful other knitters are ... and husbands. They are the very best, in my opinion. : )

I hope that you are each having a wonderful day, enjoying friends and family, and staying warm. Now, I need to put on a pot of my favorite potato soup.

Your Friend,

Shelly

P.S. That is Toby's tail in the top picture. He's our tuxedo cat. He also likes to be in the middle of everything, all the time.

NKJV
Isaiah 40:28-31
28 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. 29 He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength.
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, 31 But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what great fun to get your *special mail delivery*! You will not be bored during what's left of your ice-bound time.

And, yes, our husbands are wonderful!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh oh, lost another one to spinning! Hey you have a farm! How many fiber animals can it hold? Hehehe.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Rebecca,

I heartily agree.

Susan,

30 acres worth! : ) Well, I guess we need *some* room, so a little less than 30 acres.

Getting ready to cast on now! Not totally lost to spinning....just partially.

Shelly

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I can't believe that you got "your special delivery" today of all days. It must not have come USPS! Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy. Maybe you could knit some neat stuff for the doggies! I bet Ellie would look dashing in a "doggie shawl!" :-) I loved the little red vest. You are going to put a smile on somebody's little face. You are going to have to keep me updated on the spinning. Once again, you amaze me at all the creative projects that you tackle. I do good to "read a book." :-)

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun!! Good luck with the spinning and do keep us updated by pics if nothing else.

5:27 PM  
Blogger jae said...

Congrats on getting your delivery! Looks yummy and what a huge heart you have to knit for CIC.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thanks everyone.

Cheryl, you know that you have great talents that I do not. What you do every single day is above and beyond!

Wonderland - I will post pics. I just hope they show progress on spinning. : )

Jaedoe- Thanks so much. It is good to see you. I was missing you lately and checking your blog every day. I see you have been very busy. Congrats on your cardigan progress!

Shelly

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly,

when you have a chance, would you be so kind to post your potato soup recipe? It sounds wonderful. thanks!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Sure, Rebecca. I'll post it soon. : )

Shelly

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home