Sunday, February 05, 2006



A Road Trip, Persistence, and Patience

What a week this has been! I've had wonderful time with my husband, quality time with new friends, experienced a fun banquet with good friends and family, and had plenty of opportunities to be persistent in knitting....and patient, too!

Above is the picture of one of our sweet cats. This is Gracie, aka *the unknitter* or *frogger*. She is a joy and a kitty loaded with personality. I really feel her IQ eclipses mine by miles on most days. She sneaks into our bedroom in the late afternoon, then hides under the bed for hours, hoping to successfully wait until we've turned out the lights for the night...only to suddenly jump up on the bed and try to snuggle in between us for a long winter's nap. She isn't successful and is abruptly put out of the room, but that does not deter her from trying again, and again, and again.

Gracie is also as thrilled with yarn and fiber as I am. However, I like to knit the yarn... and Gracie's obsession is with *unkintting* the yarn. And, she likes nothing better than a good chew or two on the end of my knitting needles. My Addi Turbos are up to the assault, but my bamboos, wooden, and Denise needles are to be protected at all cost. Gracie is especially fond of bamboo double-pointed needles. This prompted my rapid change to Magic Loop technique on almost any circular project. So far, I'm winning on this battle front with Gracie! But, I won't count my chickens before they are hatched....the jury is still out on who will be the ultimate winner in this battle of wills. Gracie definitely tests my patience frequently, but I admire and even envy her persistence.

Friday evening, I had the pleasure of spending the evening with 4 of the other ladies from our Thursday night knitting group. We had a great time chatting on our way up to the SWAK Friday Night Knitting event. We were treated to Keely's marvelous cooking, fun chatting and getting to meet other knitters, some quality shopping time in a beautiful yarn shop, and hours of knitting together. We enjoyed the fun road trip and I only wish I drove a bus so that more could join in the fun!

Saturday evening was the WildCare Foundation Volunteer Appreciation Banquet. We were in great company with a room packed with others that care for our native wildlife creatures. Rondi presented an informative and interesting slide show with current statistics and numerous pictures of creatures cared for by WildCare over the last year. The dinner was outstanding. Tom had spent the day smoking salmon and barbecuing ribs. And finally, we were treated to a narrated slide show by Nancy of the hurricane Katrina animal care and recovery efforts. It was indeed an awesome and touching evening.

We also got to spend some wonderful time with our daughter, Amanda, and her husband (our newest son!), Ryan. We couldn't be prouder as parents of these two. We have been blessed beyond measure with all of our children. We love you Zach, Amanda, and Ryan... more than we will ever be able to put into words.

Today I'm knitting on my grandmother's shawl while my sweet husband tries to control himself while watching the Super Bowl. I'm enjoying the shawl challenge. When I get to a *just knit all stitches* row, I am really enjoying thinking about what a wonderful week it has been....and daydreaming about the spinning guild meeting that we get to attend on this coming Tuesday. Be still my heart! : )

I've also had some quailty Bible study and prayer time. To have peace in your heart amidst trying or very difficult times is such a gift of the Lord. I would like to ask my online friends a special request for prayer. Please pray for Will, a young man with a family, that had an 11 hr. surgery just days ago at a major E. coast medical center for possible liver cancer. The biopsy results are pending. Also, please pray for a family that lost their oldest son (and brother) in Tulsa this week. The grief and pain of their unexpected loss is tremendous. And, as always, please pray for all the young men and women in service to our country that are in danger and pray for those that lead them.

I know that the Lord is fully aware of each of the above situations. I know that He loves his children - each of us - beyond our possibility to comprehend. My heart has been heavy for each of those mentioned above and I look forward to each opportunity for prayer and praise...and learning more through His word. I pray for health and healing for those mentioned, and that each of us may know that this life is our learning ground for the next life in the presence of the Lord.

I wish everyone a wonderful upcoming week.

Your Friend,

Shelly

NAS
Psalms 94:14, 17-19, 22
14 For the LORD will not abandon His people, Nor will He forsake His inheritance.

17 If the LORD had not been my help, My soul would soon have dwelt in {the abode of} silence. 18 If I should say, "My foot has slipped," Your lovingkindness, O LORD, will hold me up. 19 When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.

22 But the LORD has been my stronghold, And my God the rock of my refuge.

5 Comments:

Blogger kay_okc said...

Gracie is a beautiful kitty. I also have a gray striped tabby and I know how sweet and innocent they look while asleep. But what fireballs when awake!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're a sweetheart, Shelly, I'm so glad I'm getting to know you!

*tears in my eyes*

7:25 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Kay, stay posted for pictures of our other cats in the near future! Fireball is *right*!

Rebecca, I'm thrilled to be getting to know you, too. I'm glad you have made Oklahoma your home. We're lucky to have you! : )

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you just need a photo showing Gracie's more geometric attributes!

Love-A

9:23 PM  
Blogger jae said...

What a great picture of Gracie I love the way the light is shown on the cushion. I need to take note of how cats are so good at finding solitude and rest. Prayers going out to those you mentioned and I pray for Gods healing and presence in their lives.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home