Wednesday, February 15, 2006


What use is a pattern? Do we need instructions...or want them?

If I was a much more experienced knitter than I am, I'm sure that pattern flaws wouldn't bother me nearly so much. However, since I am at an intermediate level (on a good day) and still learning new techniques and methods, I find a pattern very important to accomplish a larger project. Add to that the fact that the project is a *gift* and I am getting a bit beyond frustrated. : (

The XRX publishing support help has been helpful, but my last request for help was answered with a note that a magazine deadline was coming this week, so that they would get back with me and go over the pattern as soon as the deadline was passed. I understand deadlines, I understand accidental errors. However, in this instance this book was originally published in *1999*. Isn't that now *7* years? So, after a pattern has been published for *7* years, there are *still* uncorrected errors? Does this seem right?

Wasn't this pattern test knitted before release? Didn't the author of the pattern want to make sure that her efforts were published correctly? Aren't the publishers responsible to check their publications for accuracy in a timely manner?

Evidently this pattern for the *Yellow Shawl* was modified after the pictures of the completed shawl were taken. They decided to delete several of the decreases along the gusset. However, they left the *old, prior to modification* stitch counts in place. Now at row 91....the stitch count is off by several stitches! Yes, I can compensate by doing decreases in *hopefully* proper places in the shoulder shaping. But, why am I having to do this? I purchased the book for the patterns so that I may knit shawls and not have to figure out how to knit, or repair them, on my own at this point.

I'm sorry to sound negative, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with disappointment in this book and the associated publisher.

I am certain this will work out and I will learn something from the process. I just didn't want it to be this hard when I was really *trying and wanting* to follow directions.

So, here I am with instructions in a pattern that I can't follow. This is quite a turn of events, as frequently I've found myself with instructions in life that were clear and caring....and then, of course, I didn't see the need, or want, to follow them.

Obviously, I am very *human*.

My prayer is that we each can see and gratefully accept those gentle, caring, and loving instructions the Lord gives us for our lives. He offers these as a loving parent wanting the best for, and caring for, His children. He knows our hearts, He knows every desire of our being, He knows what is best for each of us to reach our full potential and how to keep us safe.....and, He loves us most. Yes, my prayer is that we accept the Lord's unending love, encouragement, and caring instructions as we grow closer in our walk with Him....and that our knitting patterns are error free. : )

Your Friend,

Shelly

NCSB
Psalms 1:1-3
1 How happy is the man who does not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path of sinners, or join a group of mockers! 2 Instead, his delight is in the Lord's instruction, and he meditates on it day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted beside streams of water that bears its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.


Psalms 19:7
The instruction of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is trustworthy, making the inexperienced wise.


P.S. Please allow me to leave you with a *proud parent* moment. The picture below is of our wonderful son, Zach, the night last fall that he received his Black Belt in Tai Kwon Do. : )

10 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

That is beyond frustrating :(

Have you seen the shawl that Grumperina recently completed? The pattern she used was FULL of errors. Terrible. :(

4:21 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Let me offer my encouragement to you on working at the shawl. You're doing a wonderful job! I think that anyone, even the more experienced knitters, would get frustrated at finding errors in the patterns they are working on. Quite honestly, I wouldn't know if I found an error in the pattern if it bit me on the butt lol! I wonder if maybe it was a printers mistake(s) and not the author of the pattern or publisher?

Your son is some good lookin'! Is he single????

4:25 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Yep, he's single, Shelley! : )

He is a wonderful young Christian man! He has his own home, very responsible, has his own computer business, and is a complete joy! And, I think he's looking for Miss Right! : )

4:31 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Rosemary, I'm going to go look at Grumperina's blog now. Poor dear...I know just how she feels. : (

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a gorgeous son!

followed by a gorgeous shawl (eventually)

5:25 PM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

Very good looking young man! And you are not being negative about the shawl pattern, you are only stating the truth and realistic expectations. Yes, after 7 years that pattern should be error free.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Zach is getting a lot of exposure. He may be beating the knitting at this rate! He may become a celeb in his own right :-)Shelly keep up the wonderful work. I think that your blog inspires and teaches us all! I look forward to each and every update!

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does Zach know about all this exposure?
-A

10:01 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thanks everyone! : )

Yes, A, I called Zach and filled him in. I'm not sure he was thrilled. But, after all, what's a Mom for? : )

12:27 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

What a handsome son you have.

Sympathy on the shawl pattern. What you have done is very beautiful. What a shame that the pattern is so messed up.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home