Friday, February 24, 2006


Sorry for the Delay, Hands, and Potato Soup

I'm sorry I've been away for a few days. I've missed everyone. I really did try to post a couple of nights ago, but Blogger and my computer were not communicating well so it didn't materialize.

I've had a very busy week. I have some ongoing medical issues that have sidelined me a bit this week, but I'm getting back into form now. : )

Hands

Earlier in the week, my dear husband took me out to eat. I was at the salad bar, peering through the sneeze guard, when it struck me that there were so many different hands in view. Older hands, younger hands, large and small hands, hands of different textures and colors. From this vantage point, I was unable to see any faces connected to any hands...just hands.

I started wondering what the work of each of these hands had been, was, or was going to be? Where had these hands been in their lifetime? How many joys and hardships had they known? What was the mission of each of these hands? Where did each person's heart and mind direct their hands to go?

Hands are an incredible gift. They have incredible power...to comfort others, to caress the face of a loved one, to hug a friend, to pet an animal, to feel the finest fibers, to lift in praise, to create a work of art, make a repair to a home, or to make a phone call or send an email to someone that you miss.

I'm making it my personal goal this week to keep my hands busy with good things, and to express my thankfulness to the Lord for the gift of our hands. Would you care to join me?


Fingerless Mitts for CIC Caregivers

This is the first of a pair of fingerless mitts for the caregivers of CIC. This is a free online pattern posted here by Dawn Adcock. These are quick and easy to knit and are very stretchy to accomodate a variety of hand and forearm sizes. I hope to complete the second of this pair today.


Potato Soup

I'm posting the recipe for my favorite Potato Soup. This recipe was shared with me several years ago by a very good friend, Kathy Drennan. Thanks Kathy!

I'm hoping that Rebecca will be able to enjoy this soup soon since she is recovering from dental surgery.

Ingredients -

6 to 8 Idaho Gold Potatoes (Russets are fine if you prefer) chopped in small pieces with peels *left on*
3 large, peeled, and chopped carrots
1 medium yellow onion diced/chopped
2 or 3 diced/chopped stalks of celery
2 or 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Knorr Chicken Boullion - 2 or 3 cubes or tbsps. if using powder
6 to 8 cups of water
1 can evaporated milk

Fill a stew pan with the necessary water, amount depending on the number of potatoes you choose to use. Add Chicken Boullion cubes or powder and bring to boil. Add chopped carrots to boiling water and reduce to simmer. Add chopped onion and celery once carrots have become partially softened. Once vegetables are mostly softened, add chopped potatoes. Cover and simmer, stirring gently occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. (Go very lightly on the salt since there is salt in the boullion.) Add the butter/margarine to the softened and simmering vegetables. Once all the vegetables are tender, turn off the heat. Only *after the heat has been turned off*, add the can of evaporated milk. Stir lightly and serve with crackers or your favorite bread.

This is outstanding comfort food. It takes only about 30 minutes to prepare and have ready to serve. It refrigerates well and is an easy heat and serve meal.

Enjoy!

I pray for everyone to have an excellent weekend, good health, a calm mind, a full and content heart, and joyfully busy hands.

Your Friend,

Shelly

P.S. I also did cast on for the Trellis Scarf from the current issue of Interweave Knits. This is a delightful knit! I'll post progress pictures soon.

NAS
Isaiah 64:8
But now, O LORD, You are our Father, We are the clay, and You our potter; And all of us are the work of Your hand.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love potato soup!!!

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe, Shelly, it looks yummy. You are a great pal! We have all the ingredients on hand and my husband is wanting to make whatever I'd like to eat-he's an excellent cook and in retirement is cooking far more than me. I'll have you over some time when I feel better! I have been sleeping lots today (all morning plus an afternoon nap!)

Oh, and the little bird on the right, we haven't seen one of them yet, altho I recognize him from looking up his picture in my book from a previous post of yours.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I hope you enjoy the soup, Rebecca. The little guy on the right is a Harris's Sparrow. : )

I'm glad you're getting some rest and that you are on the road to recovery.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the soup. Potatoes are one of my all time comfort foods! Can't wait to see what the Trellis Scarf looks like.

Hang in there! You're in my prayers every day!

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The potato soup looks great! I am definitely going to have to try it! It is good to see you up and going again after this weeks treatment! Once again, your a tropper and such an inspiration for all of us. You demonstrate such grace, acceptance and undaunting endurance! God Bless and know that you are indeed loved beyond measure!

Sis!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I am truely inspired by your blog and the pictures and thoughts you share!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thank you everyone! I'm hoping that everyone has had a wonderful weekend...and busy and happy hands! : )

Shelly

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home