Sunday, February 26, 2006


Spring, Purple Martins Return, Bluebird Courtship, Shawl Update, Trellis Scarf and Prayer

Our first Purple Martins have returned from Brazil to our colony site for the Spring nesting season. It is *always* a thrill when the first of the season returns! It is mind boggling to realize these small and beautiful creatures migrate thousands of miles annually to return to *our yard* to nest each season. They are a joy to behold and a true gift from above. Ah, knitting and birdwatching...what could be better? : )


Our Eastern Bluebirds are also actively seeking mates and preparing for housekeeping. They are singing and the males are *wing waving* at the females from atop their chosen houses. You can see that the males are doing their best to attract a female by singing, waving their wings, and preening their feathers....just like men. : )


Here's a picture of my beautiful Granny, Ollie, in IL wearing her new shawl. Isn't she pretty? She's a very young 97 years old! She is currently living with my cousin in IL who has a huge heart and her family has welcomed Granny into their home. They even built Granny her own new bedroom and have her favorite chair next to their fireplace for Granny to enjoy. *Thank You* Sylvia and Bill! And, *thank you* to each of your wonderful children for helping and caring for Granny so very well.


As you can see, the Faroese shawl stays on her shoulders while she walks with her walker. The shoulder shaping makes the difference and makes an excellent choice for a steady and wearable shawl. Since I can't be there to give Granny hugs just now, I hope that she knows that this shawl is doing the hugging for me. : )


Above is a picture of one of my current knitting projects, the Trellis Scarf from the current issue of Interweave Knits magazine. This is a delightful knit. I plan on making the sage color scarf for my mother-in-law, Loraine. I'm also going to knit this scarf for my sister, Cheryl (love you, Sis), in the color Cinnabar...or *red*! Cheryl loves bright colors, and I think this red will look great on her. And, red will go well with her lively personality and beautiful coloring. : )

Updates for Prayer Requests

Remember Will, the young, family man that I had been reporting on concerning a liver tumor and possible cancer? This week there is an update, although the removed tumor was not cancerous, they have diagnosed lymphoma now...or, cancer of the lymph system. He will be seeing the oncologist this week and a treatment plan will be devised. Please remember Will, his wife, and their 3 children in your prayers.

Also, please remember my friend Susan in your prayers. Susan is battling a recurrence of cancer bravely and with unbelievable grace. She is an inspiration to everyone that has met her and we all care about her deeply.

*On a side note, Susan and I are both currently on high dose steroids as part of our differing medical treatments. We've started the Chubby Cheek Club! If you would also care to be a charter member, feel free to join in. We think we're setting a fashion trend for the Spring season...smiling, happy, knitting, and enjoying having *power cheeks*! : )

It encourages my heart this week to realize that if the Lord can make it possible for small birds to travel thousands of miles, across oceans and land, to return to the same yard and colony site for nesting each year, that He is certainly well beyond *able* to care deeply for each of us, His children, and tend to each detail of our hearts and lives. There is *no* situation or concern in our lives of which He is not aware. My constant prayer is for our Heavenly Father to hold Will and Susan closely as they have treatment and return to complete health soon.

Your Friend,

Shelly

NAS
Matthew 18:18-20
18 Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly, Let me take this personal opportunity to thank you for your pure act of love and thoughtfulness. The Red Trellis scarf will be treasured beyond what simple words can convey. As always, you bless each of us with your sweet spirit, intricate weaving of words, and zest for the life that you have been given. Granny most assuredly receives a warm, cozy hug each and every time the shawl goes around her shoulders. She must know that she is loved and cared for by your gift, so carefully cast and created by *the hands* that were once held in hers! She was there when we *began*. *You* will be there in your creation, maybe not with your physical presence, but in each stitch of a soft, cozy, lavender embrace. I will savor each moment that God guides me on my journey. Who are we to complain? After all, if your *Purple Martins* trust him so completely as they set out to travel thousands of miles to come home, surely we can trust him as we take the next step!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The scarf looks great on your granny! She looks as though she is enjoying it already :o)

The scarf looks pretty so far, so I am sure the whole thing will look fabulous. Your mother in law and sister are lucky to get them!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I love that scarf pattern from Interweave too. I plan on making it after Bobble Blue!

5:36 PM  
Blogger jae said...

what refreshing pics of the birdies. Your granny's shawl looks very well done and she wears it well.Your faith is strong and I love the way you depend on Him.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pics of Granny and shawl, the new trellis scarf (I actually might make that), and thanks for the prayer requests - most appreciated!!!

I'm so excited to be a charter member of new trendy group - the CCC!

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you Mom!

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love those pictures!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Love the pics of your grandma! It looks great on her :)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I stuck your button on my blog. I like reading about all the knitting, birds, as well appreciate the way you share your faith.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thanks so much for everyone's wonderful comments! I really appreciate each and every one of them very much.

My Granny is very special...she raised us for quite some time when we were little. Without her, I don't know where my sister and I would be today. She was the one solid rock in our very rocky childhood. I will never be able to thank her enough for caring for us so much, when we needed it the very most.

The birds are such a joy at our farm. They always bring joy to us and watching them never ceases to teach me all kinds of lessons...on family, work ethic, and even what is really important in life...and that they are the Lord's creation and a gift to us to enjoy, if we just take the time. : )

Jenni - thanks for the link with my button. I'm going to add your blog link to my blog, too!

The Trellis Scarf is coming along. I really love the design. A hint to those that are planning on making it, too...be sure and do the purl row *loosely* before each row that contains the *knit 7 tog* move. If your stitches aren't loose enough in your purl row, the K7tog is a bit strenuous. : )

Susan - there's nobody I'd rather be in the CCC with than *YOU*. Loads of my friends and family are praying for you several times a day!

Thanks so much, Sis! Thanks Shelley, Jadoe, Amanda, Rebecca, and Rosemary.

I count myself exceedingly blessed to have such great friends and family!

Shelly

7:38 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Jadoe, I forgot to add that I'm going to add a link on my blog to your blog, too.

Shelly

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. Granny looks great in her shawl. It's the perfect size. I bet it was worth the aggrivation to knit it through the mistakes.

How is treillis going? Is it hard? Can I try or should I start with something simpler? I love that pattern! Mind you I've only knit a faggot lace scarf so far, and I'm not done with it yet.

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home