Saturday, February 18, 2006


It's Cold Outside and Busy Inside!

We have very cold temps. in OK today! Thankfully, we've also had precipitation. Although our precipitation was in solid form, any amount is appreciated since we have been desperately dry with wildfires abounding.


The ground covered with ice has certainly brought lots of great birds to our many feeders. Although lighting outside was poor, and I was shooting through a window, I got a few pictures worth sharing of our feeder visitors today. Among our usual visitors were Dark-eyed Juncos, Harris's Sparrows, American Tree Sparrows, Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, American Goldfinches, House Finches, Carolina Wrens, Downy Woodpeckers, Northern Cardinals, Grackles and Red-winged Blackbird females. We can't fill our feeders quickly enough to keep them all satisified.


The birds are also enjoying the heated birdbath. In this type of weather accessible and unfrozen water is equally important to adequate food supply.


I can get lost watching the birds. Their many colors and behaviors never cease to amaze me...and I am just amazed at God's creativity and imagination. : )


I did get my Grandmother's Faroese shawl soaked in Euclan, rinsed, and have put it out for blocking. It was almost too large to block out on the twin bed in the back bedroom, but I got it to *just fit*. I've tried several options for blocking the shoulder shaping...padding in that area, not padding in that area, etc. I finally decided to just let it block out naturally without padding. If it doesn't look OK when dry, I'll reblock.

I really love the way that Eucalan makes a finished garment smell fresh and sweet. The Alpaca is divinely soft and I'm anxious for the drying process to complete. Then I plan on wrapping in a good amount of tissue paper in a nice box and Priority mailing it to my Grandmother....hopefully on Monday!

Currently on my knitting needles is a size 4 woolen vest for CIC. These CIC vests are simple and quick to knit, and a balm to the heart of the knitter. There's just nothing better than knowing you're knitting an item for a child to stay warm and enjoy...and that many prayers are included in the stitching. I'll also be knitting some fingerless mitts for the caregivers of CIC soon. Many free patterns have been posted and shared on the CIC Yahoo List. Please consider joining. I promise you will enjoy every project and challenge. : )

A Praise Report -

I do have an update on a previous prayer request that I posted on my blog. A couple of weeks back I posted about a young family man named Will that had undergone an 11 hr. surgery for possible liver cancer. The pathology report came back this week, and Will does *NOT* have cancer. The tumor was benign! He is now home and recovering. Thank you sincerely to each of you that thought of, and prayed for, Will and his family.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Your Friend,

Shelly

HCSB
I John 3:16-20
16 This is how we have come to know love: He laid down His life for us. We should also lay down our lives for our brothers. 17 If anyone has this world's goods and sees his brother in need but shuts off his compassion from him--how can God's love reside in him? 18 Little children, we must not love in word or speech, but in deed and truth; 19 that is how we will know we are of the truth, and will convince our hearts in His presence, 20 because if our hearts condemn us, God is greater than our hearts and knows all things.


10 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Wonderful news about Will!

I love that shawl more and more with all the pictures you show. It looks so beautiful, and you did a great job with it!

And I always enjoy the pictures you put up. God certainly had a lot of creativity in his creations eh!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Love the bird pictures.

The shawl is beautiful. Imagine the joy in getting sometihng that pretty in the mail and knowing someone you love knit it for you.

Did you end up figuring out the pattern by yourself?

6:50 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Marguerite, I did just wing the pattern....everything past row 65 was *my best guess or estimate* with the decreases for shoulder shaping. I think it will be OK, but I'm really not sure what it was intended to be exactly.

I'll correspond with the publishers again on Monday about the multiple pattern errors.

I hope to be able to take a really good picture of the shawl before mailing it.

I sure hope she enjoys it. The Misti Alpaca yarn is delightfully soft and warm...and I highly recommend it. It is loosely spun, but I had no problems with splitting.

I now plan on trying another shawl soon. I think I'm going to try to find a copy of the book you got today...it looks great! : )

Shelly

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful shawl! And I love the bird pictures as well.

How did your alpaca smell when it got wet? Mine smelled like wet barnyard animal in the sink... the smell went away when it dried though and it smells like the shampoo I used to wash it in.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Susan, it didn't smell like an animal. At first it smelled like a chemical mix...I think from the Febreze used on it at the shop that I purchased the yarn from. It's still damp, but currently smells more like Euclan with lavender scent.

I'll give you an updated report when it is dry. I'm planning on putting a fan in the room on it tonight set on low speed...to speed the drying process a bit. : )

Shelly

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shawl is gorgeous! Thanks so much for posting it. And I always enjoy reading your blog and seeing your other pics too!

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shelly,
what kind of bird is the last picture?

I agree with you, providing water is critical to the birds' survival. We have a birdbath with a heater in it, too. There are some birds that only come for the water, like robins, blue jays, and bluebirds!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Rebecca,

The last bird pictured before the shawl is a Harris's Sparrow. The very last bird pictures in the post is a Carolina Wren at the suet feeder.

We also have Bewick's Wrens. Bewick's Wrens have a grey chest and a white edge that barely shows on the sides of their little tails.

We had many more Bewick's in our area until last year. I rehabbed multiple young Carolina Wrens and released them here....and now we have loads of these little ones! : )

And, thank you Susan!

Shelly

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly, as always the blog is wonderful. The shawl is truly magnificent. I hope that Granny enjoys every minute of it's use. I spoke with her yesterday and she said that she loves sitting by the fire. I am sure that the shawl will be an added bonus and a wonderful treat. Your creativity amazes me. I believe that God smiles on you each and every day. You are such a caregiver to all his creatures of nature. He put you in the perfect spot to mother! It is true what is said in the Bible, they need not wonder where the next food is coming from. God put Shelly in charge of that..."just check out the feeders, all is well". God Bless you and keep up the good fight! Love you dearly, Sis :-)

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjou you blog. G
od has blessed you with many gifts. It is a pleasure to know you. Beverly

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home