Tuesday, January 31, 2006


A New Picture and Progress

I'm starting off with a blurry, yet very special picture. This is a Painted Bunting adult male that spent the summer on our farm last year. They return each summer to eat at the feeders, raise their young in unknown nest locations, play in the various water features we have around the house, and make our summer a joy to behold. Although the picture was taken from quite a distance, through a window and screen, with less than optimum lighting, it is one of my favorites of these brightly feathered small birds.

I'll post a picture of female and immature Painted Buntings in a later post.

We are expecting the return of our Purple Martins to our colony site in just 2 or 3 weeks. Last year they returned on Feb. 21st, 2005. I'm sure I will be thrilled to see the return of the first Purple Martin of the season and hear their wonderful song.

Saturday morning I woke up to the singing of Bluebirds! They were everywhere. They were perched on nestboxes, fence posts, and even the mail box. The males were busy singing to the ladies and doing their *wing waving* to get female attention. I think it's a little early in the season, but they don't seem to think so at all.

And, yes, I have made quite a bit of progress on the never-ending shawl project. I got wonderful customer support from XRX book publishers once I contacted them...and I'm now cruising on the lavendar alpaca shawl! This has me smiling ear to ear. : )

I'm having a busy and hectic week this week. I spent over 1/2 the day on Monday having medical tests done in preparation for the administration of an investigational medication. I'm looking forward to possible benefits and providing information to others from my experience (via the health care professionals conducting the study), but the tests are a bit rigorous. It seems I'm at a health care facility nearly every day. This is in addition to those 50 year old, 50,000 mile check-up tests. (I'm glad I only have to turn 50 once!)

So, to balance all the medical hooplah out, I'm trying to have some quality prayer time, Bible study, and knitting with friends, too! Knitting will be Thursday night, as usual, at Borders with lots of friends. Friday evening we're all traveling to Guthrie for the Friday Night Knitting at SWAK. Then next Tuesday, the 7th, several of us are planning on attending the Spinning Guild meeting to see spinning demonstrations, various spinning wheels, and to ask questions to our hearts content.

I'll post a shawl progress picture later. In the meantime, enjoy the male Painted Bunting, and know that I'm praying for you, too.

Your Friend,

Shelly

NAS
Philippians 4:11 - 13
11...for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Oh my goodness that is a PRETTY bird! I've never seen any of those. I suppose they are a bird that doesn't fly up to Canada.

Here at my house, we usually get gold finches, sparrows, blue jays, red poles, chickadees, and a few others. We saw a cardinal a few times a few years ago, but haven't seen one since I don't think.

Last summer the people living behind us put up one of those fake owls to scare away the birds (I suppose to stay out of his garden). That angered me because it seemed like the number of birds we normally got dwindled down. I love watching them at the feeders and listening to them sing. Hopefully the birds will catch on that it's fake and come back...

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous bird! I've never seen one of those here in the city, but I'll be watching for them now!

The mockingbirds have started their dances, I saw a robin yesterday and am just waiting for the rest to return.

Thanks for sharing the picture!

9:10 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

What a beautiful little bird. Thank you for sharing that picture. I've never seen a painted bunting before.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home