Sunday, March 12, 2006


Spinning, Knitting, Nature and the Blessing of Friends

This has been a very busy spinning and knitting week. I've continued to make progress on the Trellis Scarf, added to my collection of fingerless mitts for the caregivers of CIC, made some saavy yarn and fiber purchases, met with knitting pals, have really got the hang of using my drop spindle, and even made a decision about which spinning wheel I hope to purchase one day in the future, and had a wonderful Bible study and prayer time in our ladie's Bible study group. What a week! : )

I've got to spend quality time with hubby and our son, Zach. Kim, DH, has been busy in his shop with his lathe and is creating many items of great beauty... and some are just for knitters! He also has plans on items for spinners, too. I've been gifting some of his items to local knitting friends...so keep your eyes open....you may find something for *you* soon!

Nature

Look closely at the picture above. If you look carefully at the far left side of the picture, you will notice a second Hummingbird. : ) This certainly isn't one of my best photos, but it speaks volumes to me. (You may need to click on the picture to enlarge the photo to see the second Hummingbird.)

I'm unsure if this is a Ruby-throated Hummingbird pair. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are notoriously territorial and will defend feeders in their territory fiercely. Their very high metabolism and energy needs requires them to feed approximately every 15 minutes. So, a good source of food (nectar feeder, flowering shrub, etc.) will be guarded with vigor. A continuous food supply is extremely important for parents raising young during the nesting season. Not only do they have their own very high nutritional requirements, but that of their young to meet, as well. Hummingbirds also require very large numbers of very small insects for adequate protein requirements. Hummingbirds do not live by nectar alone.

So, what is the lesson that these tiny ones are demonstrating? I see several.

1) Conserve your resources wisely
2) Tirelessly provide the necessities for family and young
3) Might is not equal to size
4) Dedication to a task often requires a lot of work and vigilence

Now as to their interpersonal skills, I think Ruby-throated Hummingbirds could improve a bit. : ) Thankfully, the Lord has gifted us with minds and hearts to *choose* to overcome our human nature to act like *bossy and aggressive R-t Hummingbirds*. We do not have to follow our natural or selfish impulses...we have a *choice*.

Please join me this week in praying to make the correct choices that are before each of us, so that we may help others, serve our purpose here and further the good work of the Lord....and to not be as a Hummingbird around others. : )

Friends

I have been blessed with many new friends in the past several weeks. Our knitting group is growing as well as friendships. This is a wonderful group of people, and I am so very thankful!

My online group of friends is also growing. And, my relationships with several of my family members are better than ever. What an incredible blessing! My cup truly runneth over.

My hope is that I can be a blessing to each of you, just as you have been so generously to me. I promise to be honest, to not take advantage, to always try to lift your heart, and be helpful whenever possible. I also hope to reflect our Heavenly Father's unconditional love and acceptance and pray that you walk closer with Him each day. I may dissappoint you, since I am human, but I promise to try never to do so with intent. And, I want each of you to know that I am thrilled and blessed to have each of you in my life. : )

I now leave you with a picture of one of our horses, Redford. He always loves playing with his ball and is a carefree fellow. I hope that we all have a *Redford* week! : )

And, please remember to pray for Susan and Will every day. Their battles with cancer continue and their treatments are taking a toll on their stamina. *We Love You* Susan and Will!

Thank you to all my friends, old and new.

Your Friend,

Shelly



HCSB
Proverbs 17:17
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a difficult time.

III John 1:2
Dear friend, I pray that you may prosper in every way and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.

14 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

Great pics :) :)

Redford is gorgeous!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thanks Rosemary! : )

6:25 PM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

I love the picture of Redford. I've never seen a horse play like that (except trained, performing type horses). He is a real beauty.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea hummingbirds were so territorial! Great pics and I didn't know horses played with toys!

Our mockingbirds are back, the robins are dancing, but I haven't seen the jays yet. I love spring!

Love the post also!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I'll have to post more pictures of Redford playing. He LOVES to play with balls, sticks, water hoses, anything he can get hold of. And yes, most play with many items...rather like dogs. : )

Several of our other horses play, too. Just not with as much exuberance as Redford.

Shelly

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we had many ruby throated hummingbirds in CA, they loved our redwood trees.

I agree, the new friendships from knitting are wonderful!

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My knitting and spinning friends have enriched my life no end, and I am so very thankful for each and every one.

Thank you for writing on this subject. It has blessed me and made me happy th is morning.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww the energy of Redford! Wouldn't you like to have about half of that bottled? :-) Thanks for a wonderful post. As always, it has touched and enriched my life. I think that your prayers worked for my day today. Everything went very well, even though we were dealing with very tough subject matter....Oh the power of intervention from the good Lord. You are a blessing beyond measure to all of us! Keep up the good work....Love you dearly Sis...

3:34 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

(((Shelly)))
Love the photos and the sentiments! Have a wonderful week! (and can't wait to see what DH's lathe is producing!!!)
:)

9:56 AM  
Blogger knitfriendly said...

Shelly, Thank you so much for visiting and commenting on my blog. Thank you for your kind completments. You have wonderful pictures and great words of advice. You are very talented! Have a wonderful week! -Amber

4:54 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Thanks for such an uplifting post. Your horse looks like he is having lots of fun!

7:04 AM  
Blogger X-Evolutionist said...

Hi!

I saw your link on Blog Oklahoma.

I am a Christian and I knit! I also love birds and very much enjoyed your picture on the blog.

X

http://spaces.msn.com/X-Evolutionist

9:50 AM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thanks everyone for each of your comments. You add joy to my day! : )

Shelly

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you will be able to add more stuff on this blog! Regards, horse lover Andew Lusitano

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home