Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Saturday Sky on Wednesday, Knitting, and Words

Saturday Sky

I've been very excited to join the Saturday Sky webring. Folks all over the world just take a picture of the sky on Saturday in their area. The webring can be followed and you can enjoy the wonder and differences in the sky in each area.


Although the picture of the Saturday Sky over our farm in central Oklahoma is being posted on Wednesday, it *was* our view Saturday afternoon of the glorious sky from our vantage point. Enjoy! : )

Knitting News

My knitting has been focused on the current CIC challenge for sweaters for the children in Eastern European Orphanages. My first sweater (as seen below)for the current CIC Yahoo list knitting challenge is complete, and the 2nd is currently on my needles.


Last night Rosemary and I met at Barnes and Noble for some quality knitting time. Rosemary found some new books in the knitting section and brought them to our table. I was so fascinated by the book below and the information and stories inside that I knew quickly that it would be going home with me if it wasn't going home with Rosemary first.


Inside this book, are *5* pages dedicated to Children In Common and the story behind Karen Porter's (the founder of CIC) adoption of her sons and her continued commitment to the children still in the Eastern European orphanages.


Many other wonderful knitting charitable organizations are highlighted and detailed and several basic charity knitting patterns are included. With quality writing, binding, and photography, this book is excellent. I highly recommend it and it has definitely reignited the spark behind my charitable knitting.

The Double Rolled Mitten knitting also continues for the Knittin' Mittens knit along. Slowly but surely, progress is being made. I'm sure these mittens will be very warm, but the process is not easy for this continental style knitter. I'm still thinking that I can finish by the end of the month, hopefully.

Words

The past week has reminded me once again of the importance of words. Words can uplift the heavy hearted, encourage someone facing a task, relay our affection and caring, invite conversation and exchange, or *all too easily* cause pain, rejection, misinformation to go unchecked, relay prejudice, voice unfounded anger, and cause untold injury.

My prayer is that I can more closely be accountable for my words and use the power of my voice to build up, encourage, express kindness, or even discipline or disagreement in a caring and respectful manner. I pray that I always have the courage to ask forgiveness when I've spoken wrongly and the fortitude to admit my wrongs to those I may have harmed.

Although we enjoy talking casually and think it is just *chit chat*, we should be aware that it has more power to injure than we ever realize. And, I pray that I never use my voice out of the emotion of anger, but rather a measured voice of reason, fact, and fairness.

I also pray that I recognize and never back down from using my voice for someone being unfairly maligned.

Thank you for your prayers for my grandmother. She is resting much better this week.

I'll be praying for each of you and hope that you have a wonderful week and that every day you feel the Lord's presence more closely and that your walk with Him is stronger.

Your Friend,

Shelly

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my Sis, Cheryl, yesterday the 19th!!!! Love YOU, Sis!

And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Rosemary, Jeanell, and Vanessa tomorrow, the 21st!

NIV

Job 4:4
Your words have supported those who stumbled; you have strengthened faltering knees.

Job 6:10
Then I would still have this consolation— my joy in unrelenting pain— that I had not denied the words of the Holy One.

Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Proverbs 12:18
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Proverbs 16:24
Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Proverbs 21:23
He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.

1 Peter 3:10
For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.

8 Comments:

Blogger kay_okc said...

I see ants on that sweater!!!!

9:07 PM  
Blogger L. said...

Very nice job on your first sweater!

I'm so glad to hear that your grandmother is resting easier. Please keep me in your prayers, Shelley.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly, the blog is again such a joyous reading. Thank you for the birthday wishes ;-)..the little sweater looks so cozy, warm and loving. I am sure that what ever child is the lucky recipent of this warm and wooly present, they will know that they are cared for and loved. Thank you for the thoughts on "our words." It is truly a testiment to what is going on in the world today. The "words" that are being spoken by powerful people are bringing about tragic responses. May we all pray for peace in our world, joy in our hearts and comfort to all souls. Love you sis!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Love that sweater! And that book is on my Amazon list!
(((hugs)))

6:43 AM  
Blogger jae said...

What a great idea about the Sat sky. I'm surfin over to see what everyones looks like.
I just received a thank you from the Knitting Connection where I donated some yarn which made me feel really good about my donation. If only I could rally myself to knit something for charity--your blog inspired me as well as your piece on "words" thanks.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

You know, your words really are inspiring...I ALWAYS am excited to see a new post by you ;) And your little sweaters are just adorable!

Oh boy, I really need to get back to work on my mittens ;D

Hugs, Cary

9:22 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

What a fabulous book! Thank you for posting it. I will have to check it out.

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just recently found your blog. It's lovely, interesting, thought-provoking, and I enjoy the pics of your projects.
God bless you for your charity work.
I also knit & crochet for little people, an Ohio charity called Touching Little Lives.
Hope your Saturday (Sept. 23) is super!
--Tiana

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home