Friday, September 01, 2006

It's Been a Busy and Productive Time

The last few weeks have rushed by. I didn't intend to neglect my blog, but it seemed that priorities kept pushing it back until the next day....repeatedly.

So, here I am trying to do a little *catching up* with what's been going on in Oklahoma at the Harris household.

I finished some knitting projects. YAY!

A Raglan Sweater for my hubby and the Trellis Scarf for my aunt. Both have yet to be blocked. Blocking is on the schedule for this weekend. I'll also post better pictures of each of these soon.


The sweater pattern is from the Knitting Pure and Simple pattern #991 and knit with Jo Sharp Aran Tweed yarn in the color *Ash*.

This Raglan sweater patter is worked top-down and totally solves the problem of holes at the underarms with this method. Needless to say, I was thrilled! It was a quick, enjoyable and effortless knit. Plus, the wonder of knitting with the Jo Sharp Aran Tweed yarn was delightful! I highly recommend this yarn.

I also completed Amanda's Ribby Cardi from ChicKnits. This is also a wonderful pattern and fun to knit. It knits quickly and is a very good pattern with several options for changes as you desire. I used Jo Sharp DK Tweed yarn in the colors Emporio and Paper Rose for the Ribby. The yarn is butter soft and perfect for next to the skin wear over shorter sleeves when it's cool outside.


Amanda wasn't thrilled during the photo session for this picture. It was only 108 F outside and she had just come inside to cool off. She was also sliding on the slick, hardwood floor. She was standing near the front door, but because of the arched door window shining behind her and turning her into a silhouette, I had her stand *lower*. She was leaning against the front door with her feet about 1 - 2 feet away from the base of the door....and sliding on the hardwood floor. I got tickled and she didn't think it was quite as funny. She loves her cardi, but prefers not to wear it when the temps are >100 outside. : )

I also won something! I guessed what KnitNana was knitting....and look what she sent to me in the mail. A beautiful, hand sewn checkbook cover from her business, Nana Sadie Rose. I love it! It is really a quality made item and I highly recommend her products. I'm sure I'll be ordering soon! Just check out this beauty below. : )


I've also had some fun shopping and I made a knitting find (as seen below).


I've read on several knitting blogs about how many wished there were better and less expensive stitch markers. Kay had requested access to the little marking bands used on her electric toothbrush set. Well, I think I found them....or at least their clones. The Goody brand latex bands look like the perfect knitting stitch markers to me. I'll report later with a review.

I have also committed to shopping for CIC needs whenever I find items of good quality and value during my routine shopping. I just pick up a few items when I'm at the store and put them in a cabinet. As I prepare packages of knitted items to send for the children and caregivers, I add some of the items to fill the box.

My latest shopping for CIC has been focused on health care items.


Previously, I've sent knitted items in boxes also containing educational items for the children along with art supplies.

I strongly encourage everyone to visit the CIC website. It will definitely touch your heart.

For the Birds

We've also released some avian graduates from WildCare recently at our farm. We love being a release site. Last year I helped rehab birds (specifically orphaned or injured baby insectivores) as an avian sub-permitee for WildCare. I sorely missed the baby birds this year, but health issues kept me from being able to help out this year.

However, we were able to continue participating with WildCare as a release site for successfully healed and rehabilitated animals. We recently had 4 young Purple Martins to release. Our colony had already left our site to gather at a premigratory roost in preparation for their migration to Brazil for winter.

The young Purple Martins are dependent upon adults to learn to feed. Since our colony of Martins had already left for the season, we played a recording of Purple Martins colony chatter and successfully called in several adult Purple Martins in just a matter of minutes.


More Purple Martins arrived.


The young Martins were successfully released in the company of several other Martins to care for and teach them until they were fully independent. : )

And, on the current knitting front

I'm currently working on a pair of simple cuffed and ribbed socks out of Opal Lollipop sock yarn in colorway #1010.


I've also joined my first knitting swap. I'm looking forward to having great fun with this. The swap is the Sock-ret Pal swap. If you are interested, please sign up!

And, I joined Shelley's (my friend from Canada) mitten knit along, Knittin' Mittens. Please join us if you have been thinking of mittens.

I have children's sweater patterns swimming in my head and decisions to make. I'll be casting on tonight for children's knitted sweaters for CIC. : )

Prayer Request

My good friend, Dave, called today. He shared with me about a young, 6-year-old girl named Mackenzie Woelbling of O'Fallon, MO. She is battling facial cancer. She has had previous radiation, chemo, and partial removal of her jaw. Now the cancer has returned and a miracle is needed. They plan to do repeated chemo and radiation at much higher dosages. Please pray for Mackenzie and her family. Additionally, her 29 year old father passed away recently from cancer. This family has been overwhelmed with illness, sadness and loss. Please pray for Mackenzie and her family every time you think of them.

Please have a wonderful weekend. I pray that you stay safe and are drawn closer to our Heavenly Father every day....and feel his love and care in your heart daily.

Your Friend,

Shelly

NIV

Psalm 77:14
You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples.

Job 5:9
He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

15 Comments:

Blogger kay_okc said...

I've already told you but I'll post this for everyone else.....you were just the incubator!! Both your kids look just like their daddy. lol Amanda is very pretty!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Well, you can tell Amanda that the picture came out just find despite the weather and the slipping :P

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great update! Love the socks...yay for joining up on the mitten KAL. Your sweaters are wonderful. I know there was more, but I can't remember what else I wanted to say LOL. Hope you will be blogging more frequently now that fall is almost here.

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, you've had a productive month! I love the picture of Amanda and her new sweater. Maybe you will post one of Kim in his after you get it blocked?

6:25 AM  
Blogger Amy from Ezekiel's Garden said...

Busy, busy! Glad to see you back! :) Pretty FOs! :)

We're busy, too, between homeschooling Kindergarten and putting up yet another batch of dill pickles or jam or tomatoes.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Glad you are back here. Where's a picture of the Cabana Boy?

Love your work.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Wow, you have been busy for sure! Not that I ever doubted you or anything.

The scarf, sweater, and cardigan all look great, as do the socks in progress!

Glad to have you on board the mitten KAL!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Thanks for visiting me at Celadon Pool. I've had a break from knitting over the past few years, and knitting in the UK has changed out of all recognition. I'm having to order wool on line as all the local wool shops have gone, and the yarn I was familiar with as gone with them.
I feel like a new comer. Hubby is going to get me a sock knitting kit for christmas, I've never done socks before, so it will be interesting. I loved your socks they look really good.
Thank you for your prayers.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Poor MacKenzie...I will pray for her and her family.

I also joined the Knittin' Mittens Kal. I got a nice little unsolicited invitation after I posted on Shelley's blog. That was very nice of her.

It must feel nice to finish some big projects like those. I envy you. My bigger projects are plodding away...it seems the end is never in site.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're back blogging - really missed reading your posts. Amanda's sweater is very nice and I second the idea of a picture of Kim in his as soon as it's blocked.

10:12 PM  
Blogger jae said...

I really like the patterns in Knitting pure and Simple. I do NOT enjoy seaming siince I can never seem to knit two sides of a project the same exact length so these patterns are great.

Cardi looks fab!

10:30 AM  
Blogger L. said...

You've been a busy bee, Shelley, and I really like the sweater and the scarf looks lovely as well.
Your Opal socks have great colors....are you using the Magic Loop method or 2 circs? I've only done socks with dpns or 2 circulars, never tried the Magic Loop.

I will be sure to pray for the little girl and her family. Such a sad situation, but miracles do happen.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Knitting Rose said...

Beautiful stuff. Love the socks, scarf & especially the sweater. I would like to knit that for myself! Thank you for taking time to help care for others through your efforts, it may not seem like much - but it means a lot. I will add Mackenzie to my prayer list. Prayer is very powerful and we should all use it like it was intended! Daily! I can't wait to hear your review of the inexpensive stitch markers.
Knit on!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Love what you showed us today! From sweaters to scarves to birds! I was wondering how you go aboout blocking your sweaters. I have my FEFI sweater in desparate need of a good block, but can't bring myself to do anything to her yet!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hi Shelly, I've got a knitty problem, and no knitty companion to throw around ideas with. She's moved away, and I'm without sounding board.

I've posted on the Mittens Kal, hope Shelly does not mind.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home