Sunday, June 18, 2006

Progress and Choices


It has been busy and the outside temperatures have only added to the difficulty of getting things done in a timely manner. When the temps. reach up to 103 F, I'm not very active outside. It's just too hot.

Progress

I've been knitting away, but sadly I've been frogging almost as much as I've knitted. It just seems to go that way occasionally. I'm choosing to view this as an educational period in my knitting.

I recently purchased the book, *The Sweater Workshop* by Jacqueline Fee. On my needles is the learning sampler of sweater knitting techniques. I hope to someday be able to just sit down, cast on, and knit up any sweater that I like without any pattern....just like Marguerite.

Another recent purchase is, *Itty-Bitty Hats* by Susan B. Anderson. Now this is definitely the happiest knitting book that I have every purchased. I can't wait to get started on these little treasures. If you haven't looked through this book, I highly recommend it and guarantee that it will bring a smile to your face.

Two of the puppies were adopted by Rosemary, Justin, and their precious children. I can rest easily knowing that the puppies are in an excellent home and well loved.

In a dedicated attempt to lose weight and get healthier, I joined Weight Watchers a couple of weeks ago. It's going well and it's made easier because Rosemary joined at the same time. We're Weight Watcher buddies and enjoy finding knitting time after the weekly meetings.

Exercise is the major emphasis in week 3 of the WW program. So, I'm starting out small and gradually increasing intensity and duration of the exercise. It's not easy just now, but I know it will improve soon. It has to!

My exercise routine indoors is rotating between quality time spent walking on the treadmill and using the eliptical. Both can produce an excellent workout. It does strike me as odd that I spend time really walking at the speed just before you need to run for quite some time, leave the machines exhausted, and haven't moved forward after all the effort. If I had been on the ground, I think I could have been at least 1/2 way to town rather than still in the house.

Choices

There are many times in my life when I've felt like I've been working my hardest to make headway, yet still staying in the same exact spot. Have you felt that way, too? In this situation, I usually just need to change my perspective of what I am measuring against to reflect progress, or lack thereof. Or, just choose a simple change of course. It usually comes down to making a choice, or *choosing to make a choice* to change things up.

My latest choice has been to spend more time in prayer and to enjoy the *joy* in life. I have found that particular things have been *getting on my nerves*, or simply robbing me of my joy. It seems to happen too easily lately. I want to blame either medications or menopause, but, I refuse to let myself be totally controlled by either of these! I want to become increasingly caring and non-judgmental....and reflective of myself before making an opinion about something or someone else. How can I honestly fault another of anything when I don't have all of me in perfect order yet?

I must concentrate on measuring my words and thoughts before speaking or sharing unwanted and unneeded opinions. I actively choose to *count my blessings daily*, sometimes hourly and not let the joy in my heart be stolen by difficult circumstances, harsh or hurtful words of others, seeking acceptance to a fault, negative feelings that my human self would hang onto, or hurts and anger from the past. All of these can deplete all the joy in my being all too easily.

So, I'm praying more. (By the way...exercise can be a great time of prayer, almost as good as knitting). I choose to actively work to lift up others and actively show that I care daily.

I'm not meaning that I don't take a stand on things, but it's OK if yours differ from mine and mine from yours. I enjoy having friends with differnces and unique thoughts and opinions. Just don't rain on the little guy, or take advantage of someone unfairly.... or then I guarantee that I *will* get in your face.

If your life is different than mine, or mine is very different from yours....well, that's OK. I hope the best for everyone and that they know the care and comfort and kind instruction of our Heavenly Father. And, I'm going to always attempt to be positive as we each walk our own path with Him (whether we realize it, or not).

Please take a moment to look at the many wonderful blessings in your life. Don't focus on the trials and hardships, or past angers or hurts. Protect your heart's joy...let it rise above your circumstances. Lift up others with a smile and a kind word. If I'm your friend, I may need that smile of yours next time I see you and it may make a big difference in my day. I'll promise to try to do the same for you!

Your Pal,

Shelly

P.S. The picture at the beginning of this post is of our cat, Molly. : )

John 8:7

7 However, when they persisted with their question, He raised Himself up and said, Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone ...

Psalm 28:7

7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

Psalm 19:8

8 The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

It's nice to hear from you again. WW is a great program!!

I also have The Sweater Workshop. I've made several sweaters from it. It's good for men and kids, and also for yarn that you don't know to so with.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. I hope you get to a point where you are moving forward once again. I admire your positive thinking under duress!

what a beautiful picture of Molly.

hope to see you at knitting soon!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

(((hugs)))
It's good to hear from you again! And Molly is beautiful...what a lovely furbaby.
You're in my thoughts...

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back. I hope all is well and gets better. GBY. Dee fm KS

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi shelly,

i can tell you are a precious soul, so honest and strong. i want to live what you describe, but i'm not there yet. my heart needs the joy, i know that much. i pray that it won't take until i'm 50 to find what you have....

i love your kitty.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home