Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A Surprise and Knitting Goodness


Just as Strudel and Doogie's last litter of Dachshund puppies was a bit of a surprise (of which there are only 2 left, one female and one male)... there has been another surprise brewing among local knitters. : )


Above, you see Rosemary working to finish up our group's surprise gift. A group of us had been secretly knitting on 12" X 12" squares to make a blanket for our dear friend, Susan. We've worked in secret for a few months and somehow managed to keep this news from Susan. We were finally able to present our gift of caring to Susan this past weekend (and sadly, I forgot my camera). She has been bravely battling breast cancer for over a year, and we are hoping that each time she sees or uses this blanket, that she realizes how much each of us care for her.


On the home front, I've been busily knitting on daughter Amanda's Ribby Cardi. She requested a sweater for her long bus commutes daily to OSU. Even though our temps have been soaring above 100 F, the OSU bus has very good air conditioning and she needs a sweater to prevent chilling. I am so happy to give her a hand knitted sweater from Mom. : )


At the last Gourmet Yarn Knit In, Rosemary took 1st place for the best dish with her guacamole recipe. Congrats Rosemary!


Nancy took 2nd place at the Gourmet Yarn Knit In with her lemon cake. Congrats Nancy!


I've also had a great time shopping the recent online sale at Sealed With A Kiss Yarn Shop in Guthrie, OK. I couldn't resist stocking up on yarns for CIC knitting and Metro OKC Knitting Guild charity knitting. I also found some great knitting book deals at a local book store and at Amazon.com. So, I'm set for some time and looking forward to knitting all of these skeins soon. (I didn't put all the skeins in the picture. So, I have really upped my charity knitting stash. Yay!)


Additionally, I've been working through Jacqueline Fee's *The Sweater Workshop* book. I'm learning new techniques and now better understanding basic sweater construction techniques and how to confidently make changes. I also found a Yahoo Group for this book with Jacqueline Fee as the host of the group. You can join the group here.

Caring and Prayer

I am so very thankful that as a knitter I can show my caring by knitting something special for someone. Whether they realize the time and concentration involved is irrelevant. For me, it is a tangible way of showing someone that they are special to me and I gladly give my time and attention to make something to keep them comfortable or warm.

Prayer is an even more powerful gift that I can give to those that I care for, no matter the time of day or night. By lifting them up in prayer to our Heavenly Father, many burdens may be lifted and many blessings bestowed.

Please continue to join me in prayer for Susan as she battles cancer and for Will as he battles lymphoma. I'm also requesting that you join in prayer for children without parents all over the world. I pray that they find loving homes and that they know that our Heavenly Father loves each of them dearly.

Have a wonderful week.

Your Friend,

Shelly

NIV

John 13:34
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Romans 12:10
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Hebrews 10:24
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the sweater!!!

Amanda

6:02 PM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

Those precious babies....I just want to hold them forever. Thanks for posting the pic.

6:19 PM  
Blogger jae said...

Knitting group looks like fun! what a great idea to have foodie contests too! Love it. And the dachounds are precious.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you embody the love you quote from the verses.

happy knitting!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Gosh the puppies are so cute! *dies messily* Can hardly stand it!

Your posts, however infrequent, are always so great!

8:06 PM  
Blogger L. said...

Shelley,

I'm so happy that you're back in action here on the blog and in general! I pray for you even though we haven't met other than in cyberspace.

The puppies are so adorable and lucky to be there waiting for their new parents.:)

I too am trying to shed pounds and walk on my treadmill which is not something I enjoy, but I do it anyhow. Just hope I can keep it up for the long haul.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Good to see you posting again! Thanks for the grape jelly hint! When it stops raining, I will try it! Love all the projects you have going! Puppies are adorable! Wish I lived closer!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hey Shelley, I wrote you and e-mail to the address you listed. Please let me know if you got it or not. I was just curious how much you were selling the puppies for. My husband and I have been thinking of adding to our family. Thanks!!
Jen B.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I am sure your friend is going to LOVE that blanket you all knit up for her. It will be special to her because it was made with love.

Wow, I am jealous of your yarn and book purchases!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I like the sweater workshop book, although I never did knit the sampler (oops). I mostly knit vests using it.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gesture to knit the blanket for Susan. I am sure each and everytime that she uses it, she realizes what wonderful friends that she has that care for her. The puppies are just the sweetest things ever. Their faces have such a precious look on them.

9:03 AM  
Blogger jae said...

thanks for your comment Shelly.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Tandi said...

Beautiful comfort ghan! I'm sure Susan loved it. And the cardy is looking great! I love that pattern.
The puppies are getting so big!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Love the puppies! Oh..my favorite coloration, too!
What a gorgeous blanket...your friend is going to feel so well loved...
(((hugs)))

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home