Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Farm Wonders and Thoughts


Look what was enjoying our cooler weather outside today! I found these two skeins of sock yarn resting in our old Maple tree. On the left is a skein of Socks That Rock lightweight sock yarn in the *Lucy* colorway (but we don't call it Lucy here...it's the *Barkley* colorway) from Blue Moon Fiber Arts and on the right, a skein of Lucy Neatby's Celestial Merino Dream sock yarn in the Blue Vesuvius colorway. Both are yummy and more socks are in my knitting plans!

Speaking of Barkley, this is our Barkley Bartholo*mew*. He's our Ragdoll cat. He's a mitted sealpoint...and quite relaxed. See his favorite resting position below:


Yes, this is how Barkley likes to sleep....on his back in his favoirte chair with his head hanging off the edge and his front legs outstretched. Doesn't this look like you would wake up with the worst neck ache in the world? However, there isn't much that gets Barkley excited and this is his way of relaxing and catching some ZZZZZZZs. And, no, I didn't change this picture at all. This is Barkley's position almost every day when he's taking one of his MANY naps.

Our big Maple tree also had a blocked Trellis Scarf (pattern from the Spring '06 issue of Interweave Knits) to display.


The yarn is laceweight Jaggerspun Zephyr silk/wool in the color sage. This is lucious yarn and it was a fun, although lengthy (for me) knit. Thanks go to Rosemary for keeping me motivated!

This scarf is now winging its way north, courtesy of the USPS, as a gift. : )

Additionally, I'm working on knitting some mittens using a very old pattern and technique called *Double Rolled* mittens.


The cuffs went quickly. However, when the *double rolling* started with the merino wool roving being wound around the yarn at each stitch, let's just say I lost my pace. I do plan on having them completed by the end of the month and I was hoping our garden bunny would knit a few rows during our photo session, but so far, no such luck.

The pattern and technique for these mittens are found in Robin Hansen's book, "Favorite Mittens". I'm using sport weight, lavendar, Misti Alpaca and a 47", size 1, Addi Turbo circular needle using the magic loop technique and knitting both mittens at once. I'm participating in Canadian Shelley's Knittin' Mittens knit along.

I've also got a CIC children's sweater on the needles. Pictures will be posted soon!

Thoughts

When I was outside taking pictures today in our cooler weather and enjoying the fresh smells of the fall season, I couldn't help but notice the size of the huge tree in our yard. The tree's base is at least 12 feet in circumference.

I don't know the age of the tree. It was here long before this became our farm. We've watched many birds and other animals make this tree their temporary home and raise families here. It's branches hold many of our bird feeders and provide shade for the birdbath that is kept full with fresh water just below.

The tree has grown quite substantially this summer, in spite of our lengthy drought.

The past few weeks have been difficult with reports of continued war, the 5th anniversary of 9-11, the sudden and unexpected death of a wildlife conservationist, and the declining health of my dear grandmother.

At these times when it seems that the world moves too quickly and makes little if any sense, or maybe is too painful to bear, it is comforting to see such a strong example of God's creativity and provision.

The old tree can't produce the rain that it needs, or the sunshine it depends upon to produce food. It has no way of shielding itself from storms or harsh weather. But yet, it survives, grows, makes beautiful and intricate leaves, produces hundreds of little seeds each spring, and continues to stand strong.

I want to be more like the tree....just trusting .... and continuing to stand. I will continue to delight in God's vast creation and plan ... even when my heart breaks and I don't understand.

Prayer

Please pray for my grandmother, Ollie, who is almost 98 years old. She has become increasingly weak and is having mounting medical problems related to her age. Hospice has been called in to help as she lives her final days with my extended family in IL.
I covet your prayers for her to have peace of mind and heart in her final days and assurance in the Lord's salvation as she prepares to go home to be with Him. Also, please pray for all my dear relatives that are directly involved in her care. Thank you.

I appreciate each of you and hope that you are having a wonderful week and a closer walk with the Lord every day.

Your Friend,

Shelly

P.S. I want to give very special *THANKS* to Amanda and Kay for our great trip to Tulsa on Labor Day. What fun we had! : )

NIV

Colossians 2:2 & 3

2 My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Proverbs 3:5

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

Philippians 4:6-8

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

even though I don't share your Christian belief (yet I was raised Lutheran), I always tear up reading your Christian posts. I hope your grandma has as good a time as possible in the coming trial of her passing.

I had a wonderfully soothing dream the other night in which I got to hug my grandma (very loved and gone some 20 years ago).

I love you and hope to see you soon.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have known and loved you for over 27 years, yet I am still amazed at your wonderful spirit and insites. I count you as my most wonderful earthly blessing. Your blogs touch all of our hearts.

I love you, Sweetheart.

(your anonymous husband;) )

6:27 PM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

Once we got the light running out of the way the trip was pretty great!! I enjoyed it too.

I'll keep your grandmother in my prayers.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I have sent up a prayer for your grandmother and the family. I know the Lord will hear all the prayers with regard to her, and He will be with her along the way.

I have debated on putting some of my knitting projects on and in trees and gardens like so many do. However, I have this...paranoia I guess, that they will get dirty and it won't come out, or a bug will somehow get on/in the items and I won't see it until I'm working on the item again or showing to to someone...I'm weird, I know LOL.

Ok, I just read your "anonymous husband's" post...and all I have to say is, awwwwww how sweet!!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

((huggses))

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will be praying for your grandmother and your family. It's a hard thing to go through. On a lighter note, um, if you keep finding those gorgeous items and yarns on your maple tree, I am certainly coming for a visit and see what I can find on that tree. My kids love to climb trees so they can even climb high for me :)

5:42 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Prayers for your Grandma and your family, wish I could snuggle that wonderful cat, and great knitting.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear sister, I loved this blog...I can't tell you how much it means to me each time you post your wonderful words of encouragement, wisdom and strength. I will continue to keep our granny in prayer as she struggles, as well as Sylvia and Jody. I know that they have quite a job. Their devotion is truly amazing and thank God for their willingness to provide the loving care that they do. The knitting is absolutely beautiful. I am so jealous of your talent. I am sure that the farm is fantastic this time of year. Your reference to the tree was so inspiring. May God continue to bless you and a special hug for Kim, your anonymous husband by your side :-)
from your anonymous sister...I love you dearly! "cheryl"

6:46 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I just found your blog today and subscribed immediately. Thank you for all the verses you posted. I am going to read through all your archives just to see them all. You reminded me of a verse today that was just what a friend needed to hear. I will pray for your grandmother too.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I loved reading your encouraging words today.

Happy Knitting!

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BARKLEY!!!


I love you mom. Come to Tulsa anytime you want!

Miss you,
Amanda

7:43 PM  
Blogger L. said...

Shelley,

You are an inspiration to me every time I read your blog. I've been lukewarm in my faith lately and I want to be filled with our Lord so please, Shelley, pray for me too.

I will pray for your grandmother and all of your family, but most especially, you! :)

I just loved seeing Barkley resting his bones....he sure knows how to live.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Lovely new yarns! STR are always fun colors! Love the pic of Barkley! My little Chuck does something similar. Lovely scarf too! Great green color!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're cat is such a hoot! I had to call me son over to take a gander at the sleeping position. The sock yarns are so tempting - must finish what I'm working on. Of course I'll be praying - as I do - for y'all. Thanks for posting the Word - I needed to read those verses today. Thank you also for your concern - weary in well doing would describe it better than anything else - and part of me is ashamed to admit that. Please do come back and visit the site - I promise to do better on the updating. Lillium

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm laughing at my own comment post! Of course I meant to say - your cat NOT you're cat - maybe it has been too long since I've typed and posted - LOL - Lillium

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home