Monday, July 31, 2006

Recent Events and Happy CIC Mailing


The past few weeks have definitely been eventful. I'll start with the latest on the knitting front.

I've been doing my best to complete several pairs of socks for CIC. The current challenge is for children's socks, and these have been a joy to complete. They are knit with Cascade 220 Quatro using Marguerite's Mini Basketweave sock pattern. Again, huge thanks go to Marguerite for sharing her wonderful patterns for CIC knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka the Yarn Harlot)
visited Oklahoma City. As anticipated, she was a joy to meet and fun to hear. (Special thanks to Gourmet Yarn Co. and Metro OKC Knitter's Guild for arranging Stephanie's visit to OKC.) Her books are funny and inspiring and I am now the lucky owner of a signed copy of *Knitting Rules*.

I was knitting socks for CIC at the time of her visit, and some of the little CIC socks ventured up to meet Stephanie in person. They were thrilled to meet her and will be telling the tale of their meeting to other socks for a very long time. : )

Here's a picture of Stephanie with three of the little CIC socks listening to her every word.


Today was mailing day for the CIC sock challenge. I was thrilled to send the 5 pairs that I had completed, along with some of the other items needed by CIC. Kim and I went to Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby and stocked up on several items requested by CIC on their *items needed* page. Some of the items will be mailed later because of the current high temperatures (didn't want the crayons or modeling clay to melt en route), but many items made for a full box and a happy trip to the post office.


Honestly, if I've learned nothing else, the very best way to remedy being down in the dumps or feeling empty or useless inside....it is to freely and joyfully give to someone else.

Other News

In the near future a new cooperative endeavor will be announced. Stay tuned for the announcement soon.

Current Health Issues

I had another treatment last Thursday. I'm feeling much better now. I'd like to thank each of my friends and online pals for their prayers, well wishes, and kind words. So far, I'm not even running a fever like last time. Hooray! I think I'll be back to birding and even more knitting soon! : )

I pray that everyone has a wonderful week, good health, and hearts full of joy and contentment.

Your Friend,

Shelly

Amplified Bible

Matthew 10:42

42 And whoever gives to one of these little ones [in rank or influence] even a cup of cold water because he is My disciple, surely I declare to you, he shall not lose his reward.

Matthew 25:40

40 And the King will reply to them, Truly I tell you, in so far as you did it for one of the least [[a]in the estimation of men] of these My brethren, you did it for Me.(A)

18 Comments:

Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Oh Shelly, what fun!

I'm glad to see your post (missed them!) and pray that you will soon be feeling 100%...thank you for visiting my blog, too ;) Wouldn't it be wonderful to visit in person one day and enjoying some knitting and praying together?

Hugs, Cary at Serenity Farms

4:03 AM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

The socks are adorable! I think I see my books and a bit of my hand in that Stephanie picture. lol

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEA....love the socks. They look so bright and cheerful. Glad you are feeling better too. Wish I could have gotten up there to hear Stephanie talk, but alas, you know my story and I'm sticking to it (ha ha)

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly, the socks look wonderful! I am sure that CIC is so grateful for all that you do. I am thrilled to hear that you are feeling better and that you are doing what you do best,"the charitable works of your heart!" God Bless you...have a wonderful week ahead. Love you dearly :-)

6:35 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Shelly! You won my blog contest...I need you to contact me!
(((hugs)))

9:07 AM  
Blogger jae said...

You met the Yarn Harlot? Very cool. I really enjoyed her Knitting Rules book! Those socks are sooooo cute...

6:28 PM  
Blogger ChelleC said...

Shelly, your socks are so cute! And as you know, I've been wanting to start making some myself. I appreciate your writing me and letting me know how to find that child's sock pattern. Very much appreciated.

Hope you are feeling well soon. All the best!

5:04 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

I love your little socks :)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

I feel famous! Some socks knit with my pattern actually met the Yarn Harlot!

Seriously, the socks are darling thanks to your knitting talents and care. The kids are going to love them.

You are in my prayers.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thank you for coming to visit. Those socks are beautiful. I finally learned how to knit socks a few years ago, but just simple ones, and not nearly as beautiful!

X

11:51 AM  
Blogger Tandi said...

So glad you are feeling better! Those socks turned out great.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

You are so lucky to have met the Yarn Harlot! I'm Canadian and it doesn't seem like she gets down my way...seems to stick to the States or Ontario...lol

Your childrens socks are so cute! I love the colours you chose and I am sure the children receiving them will simply love them!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Your socks are adorable!

6:51 PM  
Blogger L. said...

Shelly, I love the socks....great job and I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better. I continue to pray for your good health just about every night.

What fun it must have been meeting the Yarn Harlot herself. :)

8:34 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I am glad to see you back in action and posting around the blogs. Cute sox! Did you dye your own yarn or is is purchased. Love the colors! Glad you had fun meeting the Yarn Harlot! I missed her when she was around here at the beginning of her first book tour. I wish she would head back this way once again.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

You are an angel to these children.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad you are feeling better. Hope to see you at knitting soon!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hope all is going well Shelly! I'm starting a mitten KAL if you are interested in joining (runs Sept. to March of next year) and I thought maybe you could use the mittens you made in the KAL to send to CIC. I am hoping to get some prizes donated (I can probably only offer a couple of prizes myself) so that I'll have some to give out during the KAL. You don't have to donate anything, but I hope you'll join up. It's at http://knittinmittens.blogspot.com and it is open to all knitters!

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home