Saturday, April 01, 2006



Spring Is Springing, CIC Knitting, Puppies Any Minute, Charlie Update and Faith

Spring is appearing slowly but surely here on our farm in Oklahoma. You can see that more green is gradually appearing in the grass and trees. The very old and big Cottonwood tree in the back pasture (large tree in the background of above pic.) has buds that are beginning to become leaves. We've had some rain, but as you can see by the desperately low water level of our front pond, we need much more.

Our Eastern Bluebirds have been very busy and we have 2 complete nests already with the females each setting on eggs. One nestbox has a nest of 5 eggs and another has a completed nest with 4 eggs. We still have several nestboxes waiting for nestbuilding and eggs and I'm sure they will have activity soon.

I always enjoy this time of year. I'm sure I'll be mowing some time this week! Mowing or brushhogging with our tractor is almost as enjoyable for me as knitting. Of course, I'm speaking of a riding lawn mower. And brushhogging with our tractor in the pasture is a great way to spend a day...immediate gratification right behind you, being outside with nature and wildlife, and lots of fresh air.



CIC Knitting

I've finished and mailed my current CIC knitting projects for the challenge that we just completed yesterday. Our CIC Yahoo Group is now starting another challenge for children's vests and sweaters. I love knitting for this cause. If you would care to join in the effort and have a wonderful time while providing warmth for children without families, just join in the Yahoo group at the previous link or email me for more information.



I knitted my first top down, Raglan sweater from Ann Norling's pattern #53 (picture below). It was an enjoyable knit once I figured out that I was beginning with shaping of the back of the neck before knitting in the round. I was pleased with how the little sweater turned out and I hope that it is enjoyed by and provides warmth for the child that will be wearing it. I also say many prayers for the children as I knit these items.



I also completed 3 pairs of fingerless mitts for the caregivers of the children in the orphanages. The winter temperatures *inside* the orphanages are usually in the 40's (F). That's COLD! They have inadequate funding for sufficient heating and equipment to provide adequate heat. CIC is working toward making as many positive changes as possible at these orphanages to benefit the children and those that care for them.

Puppies Any Minute

Yes, we should have Dachshund puppies arriving any minute now. Strudel's temperature has dropped and she has been showing all the signs of delivery within the current 24 hr. period. We're trying our best to keep her as comfortable and calm as possible. And, we're trying to stay calm and comfortable, too. : ) We've been giving full time care to the canines at our home recently! I'll post pictures when the puppies have arrived.

Charlie Update

Charlie is doing very well. His sutures were removed on Wednesday. He seemed very happy to be relieved of the stitches from the left side of his face and eye area. He's adjusted remarkably well to having vision only on his right. He is a wonderful canine friend and we think he has come through this tragedy much better than we thought possible. We'd like to again say *Thank You* to everyone that expressed concern for Charlie.

Faith

It isn't easy when trials occur. I often find it most challenging when health challenges really challenge my ability to keep focused on things above and not on the latest physical issue. Side effects from medications have caused the increase or addition of other medicines...and the merry-go-round continues to spin in what seems to be a never ending circle. Or, so it seems from my earthly viewpoint on some days.

I'm sure you can relate even though it may be in a different area of life. Whether it is family relationship difficulties, health issues, financial challenges, or any other area that is keeping your focus on frustration, worry, or feelings of being overwhelmed; just remember who is actually in control. There is not a single event in our lives of which our Heavenly Father is not aware. We are not alone. We need not worry.

We should do what we can and leave the rest in His loving hands. And we should never forget to enjoy every day of our lives and see his handiwork everywhere we look if we keep our eyes open. : )

I'm praying that you have a wonderful week, that your concerns are given over to the Lord, and that you notice His loving care and creativity in many things this week ... and that they all bring a smile to your face and loving warmth to your heart.

Your Friend,

Shelly

P.S. I'm leaving you with this picture below of some of the Purple Martins coming in to their housing at our farm last evening. The skies fill with circling Martins just as the sun begins to set. It is beautiful and so very calming to watch them float on air currents against the blue sky background. These little ones remind me daily of God's wonderful creativity and love for all things He has created. : )

HCSB

Psalm 55:22
22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.

I Peter 5:6-7
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.


9 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

How exciting about the puppies! Can't wait to see the pic of them.

The items you made for CIC are lovely. That little sweater is so warm looking. When I knit something for someone else, especially if it's something that goes on the mitten tree, I usually pray for the person who will receive it too. I never know who gets the items but I still pray for him/her.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

WOW! Those eggs are fabulous!

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great to have you back.
You are such a giving person!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

You're a few weeks ahead of us (SW Michigan) with spring. The crocus here are still blooming and there is nothing large that has any color yet.

The first bluebird nest just got started today. Looking forward to showing off my blue eggs when they happen.

Your sweater turned out so cute. Those are great kid colors. And your knitting looks meticulous, as always.

Looking forward to lots of puppy pictures. You weren't planning on just one, were you?

6:32 PM  
Blogger KarenS said...

Your sweaters look great--I'm sure the kids will love them!!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I love stopping in to see all your pictures. The sweaters/vests/ and mitts you knit for CIC are fantastic! I may have to try a top down sweater with my wool soon!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Shelly - I would love to have some bluebirds - but they don't like the city life. We are enjoying the red finches which have come to our house just recently.

You are truly a giving and wonderful person. I think of you often and pray you are having a wonderful day.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

You really knocked out that sweater fast!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has sleeves! I didn't knpw you could do sleeves! Why didn't you tell me! How cool!

Thanks for all the work with the "Granddog".

your excited daughter,
Amanda

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home